For a PDF copy of our PrivacyPolicy
Privacy of personal information is an important principle to ellephysio. We are committed to collecting, using and disclosing personal information responsibly and only to the extent necessary for the services we provide. We also strive to be open and transparent as to how we handle personal information. The following describes our privacy policies.
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. Personal information includes information that relates to their personal characteristics (e.g., gender, age, income, home address or phone number, ethnic background, family status), their health (e.g., health history, health conditions, health services received by them) or their activities and views (e.g., religion, politics, opinions expressed by an individual, an opinion or evaluation of an individual). Personal information is to be contrasted with business information (e.g., an individual’s business address and telephone number), which is not protected by privacy legislation.
WHO WE ARE
ellephysio is an education and exercise based multidisciplinary physiotherapy practice. We use a number of consultants and agencies that may, in the course of their duties, have limited access to personal information we hold. These include personal trainers, pilates instructors, computer consultants, website managers, and cleaners. We restrict their access to any personal information we hold as much as is reasonably possible. We also have their assurance that they follow appropriate privacy principles.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION: PRIMARY PURPOSES
Like all physiotherapists and massage therapists, we collect, use and disclose personal information in order to serve our clients. For our clients, the primary purpose for collecting personal information is to provide evaluation and treatment. For example, we collect information about a client’s health history, including their family history, physical condition and function and social situation in order to help us assess what their health needs are, to advise them of their options and then to provide the health care they choose to have. A second primary purpose is to obtain a baseline of health and social information so that in providing ongoing health services we can identify changes that are occurring over time. It would be rare for us to collect such information without the client’s express consent, but this might occur in an emergency (e.g., the client is unconscious) or where we believe the client would consent if asked and it is impractical to obtain consent (e.g., a family member passing a message on from our client and we have no reason to believe that the message is not genuine).
About Members of the General Public
For members of the general public, our primary purposes for collecting personal information are to provide notice of special events (e.g., a seminar or conference) or to make them aware of physiotherapy services in general or our clinic in particular. For example, while we try to use work contact information where possible, we might collect home addresses, fax numbers and email addresses. We try to obtain consent before using any such personal information, but where this is not, for any reason, possible, we will upon request immediately remove any personal information from our distribution list.
COLLECTION Of PERSONAL INFORMATION: RELATED AND SECONDARY PURPOSES
Like most organizations, we also collect, use and disclose information for purposes related to or secondary to our primary purposes. The most common examples of our related and secondary purposes are as follows:
- To secure payment for goods or services.
- To advise patient/clients of the need for follow-up services.
- To advise clients and others of special events or opportunities (e.g., a seminar, development of anew service, arrival of a new product) that we have available.
- Our clinic reviews client and other files for the purpose of ensuring that we provide high qualityservices, including assessing the performance of our staff. In addition, external consultants (e.g., auditors, lawyers, practice consultants, voluntary accreditation programs) may on our behalf do audits and continuing quality improvement reviews of our Clinic, including reviewing client files and interviewing our staff.
- Physiotherapists are regulated by the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario, Massage Therapists are regulated by the Collenge of Massage Therapy of Ontario, who may inspect our records and interview our staff as a part of their regulatory activities in the public interest. In addition, as professionals, we will report serious misconduct, incompetence or incapacity of other practitioners, whether they belong to other organizations or our own. Also, our organization believes that it should report information suggesting serious illegal behaviour to the authorities. External regulators have their own strict privacy obligations. Sometimes these reports include personal information about our clients, or other individuals, to support the concern (e.g., improper services). Also, like all organizations, various government agencies (e.g., Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, Information and Privacy Commissioner, Human Rights Commission, etc.) have the authority to review our files and interview our staff as a part of their mandates. In these circumstances, we may consult with professionals (e.g., lawyers, accountants) who will investigate the matter and report back to us.
- The cost of some goods/services provided by the organization to clients is paid for by third parties (e.g., OHIP, WSIB, private insurance, auto insurance, Assistive Devices Program). These third-party payers often have your consent or legislative authority to direct us to collect and disclose to them certain information in order to demonstrate client entitlement to this funding.
- Clients or other individuals we deal with may have questions about our goods or services after they have been received. We also provide ongoing services for many of our clients over a period of months or years for which our previous records are helpful. We retain our client information for a minimum of ten years after the last contact to enable us to respond to those questions and provide these services (our regulatory College also requires us to retain our client records).
- If ellephysio or its assets were to be sold, the purchaser would want to conduct a “due diligence” review of the clinic’s records to ensure that it is a viable business that has been honestly portrayed to the purchaser. This due diligence may involve some review of our accounting and service files. The purchaser would not be able to remove or record personal information. Before being provided access to the files, the purchaser must provide a written promise to keep all personal information confidential. Only reputable purchasers who have already agreed to buy the organization’s business or its assets would be provided access to personal information, and only for the purpose of completing their due diligence search prior to closing the purchase.You can choose not to be part of some of these related or secondary purposes (e.g., by declining to receive notice of special events or opportunities, by paying for your services in advance). We do not, however, have much choice about some of these related or secondary purposes (e.g., external regulation).
PROTECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We understand the importance of protecting personal information. For that reason, we have taken the following steps:
- Paper information is either under supervision or secured in a locked or restricted area.
- Electronic hardware is either under supervision or secured in a locked or restricted area at all times. In addition, passwords are used on computers. All of our cell phones are digital, as such signals are more difficult to intercept.
- Paper information is transmitted through sealed, addressed envelopes or boxes by reputable companies.
- Electronic information is transmitted either through a direct line or where we are unsure of the security of the electronic transfer of information, identifying information is removed.
- External consultants and agencies with access to personal information must enter into privacyagreements with us.
RETENTION AND DESTRUCTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We need to retain personal information for some time to ensure that we can answer any questions you might have about the services provided and for our own accountability to external regulatory bodies. However, we do not want to keep personal information too long in order to protect your privacy.
We keep our client files for about ten years. Our client and contact directories are much more difficult to systematically destroy, so we remove such information when we can if it does not appear that we will be contacting you again. However, if you ask, we will remove such contact information right away. We keep any personal information relating to our general correspondence (e.g., with people who are not clients) newsletters, seminars and marketing activities for about six months after the newsletter ceases publication or a seminar or marketing activity is over.
We destroy paper files containing personal information by shredding. We destroy electronic information by deleting it and, when the hardware is discarded, we ensure that the hard drive is physically destroyed. Alternatively, we may send some or the entire client file to our client.
YOU CAN LOOK AT YOUR INFORMATION
With only a few exceptions, you have the right to see what personal information we hold about you. Often all you have to do is ask. We can help you identify what records we might have about you. We will also try to help you understand any information you do not understand (e.g., short forms, technical language, etc.). We will need to confirm your identity, if we do not know you, before providing you with this access. We reserve the right to charge a nominal fee for such requests.
If there is a problem we may ask you to put your request in writing. If we cannot give you access, we will tell you within 30 days if at all possible and tell you the reason, as best we can, as to why we cannot give you access.
If you believe there is a mistake in the information, you have the right to ask for it to be corrected. This applies to factual information and not to any professional opinions we may have formed. We may ask you to provide documentation that our files are wrong. Where we agree that we made a mistake, we will make the correction and notify anyone to whom we sent this information. If we do not agree that we have made a mistake, we will still agree to include in our file a brief statement from you on the point and we will forward that statement to anyone else who received the earlier information.
DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have a question or concern, please address it to ellephysio at (289)-815-ELLE (3553) or by email to email@example.com
If you wish to make a formal complaint about our privacy practices, you may make it in writing to ellephysio. We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint; ensure that it is investigated promptly and that you are provided with a formal decision and reasons in writing.
If you have a concern about the professionalism or competence of our services or the mental or physical capacity of any of our professional staff we would ask you to discuss those concerns with us. However, if we cannot satisfy your concerns, you are entitled to complain to our regulatory body:
COLLEGE OF PHYSIOTHERAPISTS OF ONTARIO
375 University Avenue, Suite 901 Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2J5
416-591-3828, 1-800-583-5885 Fax: 416-591-3834
General email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.collegept.org
COLLEGE OF MASSAGE THERAPISTS OF ONTARIO
1867 Yonge Street, Suite 810 Toronto, Ontario M4S 1Y5
416-489-2626, 1-800-465-1933 Fax: 416-489-2625
General email: email@example.com Web: cmto.com
This policy is made under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. That is a complex Act and provides some additional exceptions to the privacy principles that are too detailed to set out here. There are some rare exceptions to the commitments set out above.
For more general inquiries, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada oversees the administration of the privacy legislation in the private sector. The Commissioner also acts as a kind of ombudsman for privacy disputes. The Privacy Commissioner can be reached at:
112 KENT STREET | OTTAWA, ONTARIO | K1A 1H3
PHONE (613) 995-8210 | TOLL-FREE 1-800-282-1376 | FAX (613) 947-6850 | TTY (613) 992-9190 www.privcom.gc.ca
Refund / Cancellation Policy
- Appointment Cancellation PolicyWe understand that unplanned issues can come up and you may need to cancel an appointment. Should that happen, we respectfully ask for scheduled appointments to be cancelled at least 24 hours in advance.Our staff want to be available for your needs and the needs of all our patients. When a patient does not show up for a scheduled appointment, another patient loses an opportunity to be seen. In courtesy of your therapist and fellow patients, we are amending our cancellation policy. Although we have always had a cancellation policy, circumstances have caused us to enforce a policy of charging the FULL cost of the appointment for missed appointments and those appointments not cancelled within 24 hours as of January 1, 2015.
Thank you for being a valued patient and for your understanding and cooperation as we institute this policy. This policy will enable us to open otherwise unused appointments to better serve the needs of all patients.
**Insurance Receipts will not be provided for missed appointment charges.**
- Individual Classes
- If your scheduling conflict is known in advance and we are notified at least 24 hours ahead of time, it MAY be possible to make the session up at a later date or with a different group. However, this cannot be guaranteed.
- Any classes missed without 24 hours notification are forfeited.
- If you have not already paid for the class, your account/card will be charged for the full amount of the session.
- No refunds are available for completed consulting services.
- Unused, pre-paid and retainer-based consulting services may be eligible for a refund depending on the agreement between you and the ellephysio subsidiary. Standard notice for cessation of services is one calendar month, but this may vary between contracts. Be sure to check your agreement for details.
- Fitness Equipment and Accessories
- May be returned within 14 days for exchange or account credit only. Returns are valid only for products that have not been opened, used or damaged.
- Products which are defective or damaged upon arrival may be returned immediately for exchange.
- Some products may need to be shipped directly to the manufacturer. This will be stated on the product package or instruction insert. Should you be unsure if this is the case, please contact us
- Customers are responsible for all shipping charges on exchanges or refunds.
- Refunds are only available when an equivalent replacement is unavailable and customer does not wish to exchange for another product
- Books, DVD’s, Posters
- May be returned within 14 days for exchange only. Returns are valid only for products that have not been opened, used or damaged.
- Products which are defective or damaged upon arrival may be returned immediately for exchange.
- Customers are responsible for all shipping charges on exchanges or refunds.
- Refunds are only available when an equivalent replacement in unavailable and customer does not wish to exchange for another product.
- Digital Products (Audio, Video, E-Book downloads)
- These products are not eligible for return or exchange.
- Should your file be defective or damaged upon arrival please contact the appropriate division of the XYZ STUDIO where you purchased the product and we will arrange for a copy of the file to be re-sent.
- Should you be dissatisfied with the quality or content of the file, we would be happy to hear your feedback. Please contact the appropriate division of the company.
Terms & Conditions
If you access and use this Web site (the “Site”), you accept and agree to be bound by and comply with these terms (the “Terms”). If you do not accept the Terms, do not use the Site.
- All products and services of ellephysio and its subsidiaries and affiliates are subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable agreements governing their use.
- The Terms are to be read by you together with any terms, conditions or disclaimers provided in the pages of the Site. In the event of any conflict, the terms provided in the pages of the Site will govern.
- The information, material and content provided in the pages of the Site (the “Information”) may be changed at any time without notice. Changes may be made to the Terms at any time without notice by updating this posting. You agree to review the Terms regularly and your continued access or use of the Site will mean that you agree to any changes.
- Internet E-Mail
- Any unprotected E-Mail communication over the Internet is, as with communication via any other medium (e.g. cellular phones, post office mail), not confidential, subject to possible interception or loss, and is also subject to possible alteration.
- No Endorsements
- No endorsement or approval of any third parties or their advice, opinions, information, products or services is expressed or implied by any Information.
- Links from or to web sites outside the Site are meant for convenience only. ellephysio does not review, endorse, approve or control, and is not responsible for any sites linked from or to the Site, the content of those sites, the third parties named therein, or their products and services. Linking to any other site is at your sole risk and ellephysio will not be responsible or liable for any damages in connection with linking. Links to downloadable software sites are for convenience only and ellephysio is not responsible or liable for any difficulties or consequences associated with downloading the software. Use of any downloaded software is governed by the terms of the license agreement, if any, which accompanies or is provided with the software.
- Payment for Products & Services
- All Credit Cards will be processed in Canadian Dollars at the time of payment. ellephysio is not responsible for any fees, charges, exchange rates or additional charges levied by individual financial institutions or Credit Card companies.